The inspiration for this dish came while we were up in Edinburgh and surrounded by whisky and wrapped in our warm winter coats. I was thinking about that gorgeous combination of honey, lemon and whisky and suddenly thought – that would make a great curd recipe! My whisky toddy curd recipe is basically a lemon curd made with honey instead of sugar, some wintery spice and a good warm hit from the whisky – a great pick-me-up spread over toast on a winter morning.
This is another great idea for a Christmas hamper gift as it’s a bit different and super easy to make and you can have fun decorating the jars. I’ve just wound some sparkly gold ribbon around them for the photo, but I’m hoping to find some Christmassy fabric squares that I can cover the lids with.
Once again, don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a chance to win a trio of lovely preserves and pickles from Opies Foods – perfect for a Christmas hamper! Find out more in GIVEAWAY – Christmas Hamper from Opies Foods!
- 4 lemons
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100ml honey
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Half a nutmeg grated
- 1 tbsp whisky
- Small jars
- Melt the butter with the honey, lemon, and spices over Bain Marie.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the Bain Marie with the other ingredients until all combined.
- Cook for ten mins or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Sieve into bowl and stir in the whiskey.
- Leave to cool, again stirring occasionally, before transferring to cooled, sterilised jars. (Read how to sterilise jars in my Pears in rooibos syrup post).
Looking for more DIY Christmas hamper recipes? How about these Pears in rooibos syrup?