This is my cheat’s version of flammkuchen or tarte flambée which is an Alsatian/German version of pizza. It’s normally made with thinly-rolled bread dough shaped into a big rectangle (= hard work!) and topped with crème fraîche, onions and lardons. My cheat version uses wheat tortillas and it’s super quick – great for when you don’t have a lot of time for cooking. Oh…and I add cheese!
Cooking the tortillas in the oven for just 5 minutes crisps them up perfectly so I like to cut them into little pizza-like slices and serve with some fresh crunchy salad.
- 2 flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp cream cheese or crème fraîche
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 100g pancetta
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- Heat the oven to about 200 degrees Celsius.
- Heat some oil/butter in a pan and gently fry the onions and pancetta until the pancetta is cooked and the onions have started to caramelise.
- Spread the cream cheese/crème fraîche thinly over the flour tortillas, top with the cooked onions and pancetta, and finish with a light sprinkling of cheddar cheese. If you like you can season with some black pepper as well.
- Pop in the oven for just 5 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven, they should be starting to crisp. Slice them into little pizza-like slices and enjoy!