It’s getting warmer outside and that calls for some more summery drinks, so I’ve packed up the mulling spices and I’m moving on to some fresh flavours.
This combination sounds weird – I know – you’re probably thinking “pineapple and sage I can get on board with…but black pepper? What’s Lizi’s deal with putting black pepper in drinks?” Well guys – you need to trust!
This is a great refreshing drink with the sage giving it a lovely herbal flavour alongside the subtle warming flavour of the black pepper. I think it’s perfect for Springtime in the UK!
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- A small handful of fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Soda water or lemonade to top up (optional)
- Put a handful of ice cubes into a cocktail shaker and pour the pineapple juice over the top.
- Roughly tear up the sage leaves (keeping one or two back for a garnish) to release their flavour and add to the shaker with the pepper and honey.
- Pop the lid on the cocktail shaker and dance around the kitchen with it to shake everything up.
- Pour out into a glass with another ice cube and a fresh sage leaf.
If you don’t have a cocktail shaker you can just use a jug, stir the ingredients and crush the leaves with a long spoon before pouring into a glass through a sieve. Alternatively, you could just mix the ingredients together straight in the glass and drink through a straw mojito-style.