I can’t believe we’re already well into December! It has crept up on me like a thief in the night this year – it’s amazing how you can go from feeling like you’re well ahead with planning and have loads of time (being the huge Christmas fan that I am, it won’t surprise you that I think about Christmas a fair amount throughout the year!), to almost overnight finding yourself rushing around trying to get Christmas cards written and trying to find a time to go out and get a Christmas tree!
I can only apologise then for the lack of posting over the last couple of weeks, but now I hope I can put things right with this recipe for my coconut mint snowballs. The recipe is based on a peppermint cream, but with next-level sweet, soft, creamy coconut deliciousness. PLUS, they are entirely gluten free and there’s even a vegan option if you omit the white chocolate.
I love peppermint creams – I remember making them at Christmas time when I was young and experimenting with different shapes and even colours. I suppose some things never change! I started with the combination of peppermint and coconut cream for a centre that would give you a cool sensation and melt-in-your-mouth feel like eating a mini snowball.
Of course, they needed to look snowy too, so in this recipe they get a good dunk in white chocolate (unless you’re using the vegan option) and are rolled in some desiccated coconut.
Share these minty, snowy snacks at work, in hampers, or at your Christmas celebrations and enjoy!
Makes approximately 20 snowballs
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- 2-3 drops peppermint essence
- 100g white chocolate*
- Dessicated coconut to decorate
- Combine the icing sugar, coconut milk and peppermint essence until it forms a thick paste. Roll into small truffle-sized balls. Leave for approximately 30 minutes to dry and harden.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie over a low-medium heat. Once melted, lower each peppermint ball into the chocolate with a fork (see photo above) until covered.*
- While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle with dessicated coconut.
- Leave the snowballs to set on baking paper for at least an hour.
*For a vegan version, just leave out the white chocolate, but make sure you roll the peppermint creams in the coconut before leaving to harden.