This week I’m eating light before my trip to New York next week!! I’m. So. Excited! I can’t wait to see the city and go on a food adventure like no other – I don’t even know where to begin. I just know I’m going to eat A LOT! My special treat in this week of dietary austerity – ok I’ll stop being dramatic – is this beautiful homemade granola.
It’s hard not to love granola even with all its hype and hipster status, and I can’t stress enough how simple it is to make yourself. I particularly like being able to control the sugar content of the end result, opting for something a little less sweet more often than not. I love to try different flavours too and so for this recipe I’ve gone for a subtle hint of floral orange blossom flavour paired with crisp flaked almonds. I snuck in some grapenuts too for added crunch.
I cooked this recently for a work breakfast and they absolutely loved it. I love orange blossom, but it can kill a recipe if you use too much so a light touch works here.
- 180g Oats
- 100g Grape nuts
- 100g flaked Almonds
- 100ml Honey
- 2 tsp Orange blossom water
- 40g Coconut oil
- 2 Egg whites
- Chopped dried apricots
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the oil, honey, orange blossom water, and salt in a pan over a moderate heat until the coconut oil has melted.
- Combine the dried ingredients except apricots, then stir in the liquids.
- Beat the egg whites then add to the mixture.
- Bake for 35 mins at 180 degrees until crisp and golden.
- Add the chopped apricots at the very end and heat theoughfor a few minutes so that they dehydrate slightly, but don’t burn.