I use this basic recipe whenever I fancy a quick pickled side for a meal and so far I’ve tried it with cucumber, carrots, and red cabbage, but you can pretty much pickle whatever you fancy. You can use this recipe to pickle some vegetables to put in to my feta and pickled vegetable salad!
This pickle recipe is quick and simple and has never let me down. I’d recommend making this about an hour in advance of serving so that the pickling liquid is cool and the flavour has a chance to penetrate the vegetables.
If you want to, you can adapt this pickle recipe and add in additional ingredients. You could add garlic, chilies, herbs such as dill or bay and start to play with different flavours and combinations. Think of this recipe as the foundation that you can have some fun building on!
- About 1-2 cups of whatever you’re pickling (it will wilt a little once your pour over the liquid)
- 1 cup vinegar (I tend to use white wine or rice vinegar)
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Any additional ingredients
- Prepare your vegetables either by slicing, chopping or peeling into ribbons. It’s really up to you! Put them into a jar.
- Heat the vinegar, salt and sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved and a few little bubbles are starting to appear.
- If you’re using any additional ingredients, take the pan off the heat and add them to the pickling mixture.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the vegetables and put the lid on the jar.
- Leave for about an hour and then they’re ready to eat!
3 thoughts on “Quick pickled vegetables”
Have you tried pickled beetroot? I have lots in the garden I want to use up!
I think it would take a bit longer than these quick pickles, but beetroot does pickle really well. You can use it in this feta and pickled veg salad recipe: https://ayearindinners.com/2016/05/14/feta-and-pickled-vegetable-salad/
LikeLiked by 1 person